No activity to report on your BAS? You still have to lodge a statement

Even if you have nothing to report this quarter, you still have to lodge a nil activity statement. The easiest and fastest way to lodge is online. Select the “Prepare as NIL” option on your activity statement form and you won’t need to fill in each label as a zero.

You can lodge online through the ATO business portal or through your myGov account if you are a sole trader. You can also lodge your nil activity statement over the phone by calling 13 72 26. It’s an automated service and you can call anytime (24 hours a day, seven days a week).

If you can’t lodge or pay by the due date, contact the ATO soon as you can so that they can reduce the likelihood of any penalties.

How to lodge your BAS

Lodge online

You can lodge your BAS online:

  • using the ATO’s online services for individuals and sole traders (you will need a myGov account linked to the ATO)
  • through the ATO Business Portal
  • directly from your Standard Business Reporting (SBR) enabled software.

The method you use to lodge your BAS will determine how it will be delivered in future. For example, if you lodge electronically through online services for individuals, your next statement will be delivered to you through online services for individuals.

Lodge through your registered tax or BAS agent

If you have a tax or BAS agent they can lodge, vary, and pay on your behalf through their preferred electronic channel. Tax and BAS agents can also view your activity statements that have been sent to your myGov Inbox.

You can access your activity statement through our online services for individuals or our Business Portal even if your agent is managing them on your behalf.

Lodge by phone (for ‘nil’ business activity statements only)

If you have nothing to report, you must lodge a nil business activity statement. You can lodge your nil BAS over the phone by calling 13 72 26. It’s an automated service and you can call anytime (24 hours a day, seven days a week)

Lodge by mail

Post your original, completed BAS, using the pre-addressed envelope provided in your BAS package. If you misplace the envelope, you can send your statement to:

  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Locked Bag 1936
  • ALBURY NSW 2460

If you’ve lost or haven’t received your paper BAS, you can obtain a copy by phoning 13 28 66.

No comments | be the first to comment

Comment Manually

Read more


FREE NEWS BRIEFS Get breaking news delivered