Fringe Benefits Tax –FBT – returns are due on 21 May, but you have until the next business day to lodge. As the lodgment due date for FBT returns falls on a Saturday this year, you have until 23 May to lodge if you’re preparing your own return.
FBT is the tax you pay on certain benefits you provide to their employees, including your employees’ family or other associates. The benefit may be in addition to, or part of, their salary or wages package.
If you are a director of a company or trust, benefits you receive may be subject to FBT.
Fringe benefits tax is separate to income tax and is calculated on the taxable value of the fringe benefits provided. The FBT year runs from 1 April to 31 March.
You can lodge your Fringe Benefits Tax return:
- electronically using Standard Business Reporting, SBR-enabled software
- through your tax agent
- by post
If you are lodging your own return and need more time, phone us on 13 28 66 before the due date between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.
The ATO website has instructions that will help you complete the Fringe Benefits Tax return 2016 for your business. They include information on:
- recent and proposed law changes
- how to correct a mistake on your FBT return
- how to complete the return if you are a taxable employer
- how to complete the return if you are a non-profit organisation
- how to complete the ‘Fringe benefit categories’ section on your return
- record keeping
- calculation rates.
More information is available here.
Small Business Newsroom