Starting a business during a global pandemic can seem like a terrifying feat at best. However, with hundreds of thousands of Australians out of work due to COVID-19, many have found themselves looking for alternative career paths.
This period of downtime has also allowed us to reflect on their careers, with many Aussies reevaluating what is important to them, and the kind of roles they would like to pursue, leaving them with the realisation that starting their own business and doing something they are passionate about could be the right move.
Here are my tips for those looking to start a business during the global pandemic:
- Start a business doing something you love: It sounds obvious, but doing something you truly enjoy is so crucial when it comes to starting a business. This is something that you are going to put many hours and years of work into, so it really does need to be a passion of yours. Through our GeckoSports franchises, we enable Australian’s to work in a fulfilling role, spending time with children, being active and in the great outdoors, turning something they love into an income.
- Make the most of any support provided: For many looking to start a business, there are grants and loans that are made available to you. Do your research and look into what resources are available to you to give your business the best chance of survival.
- Focus on your lifestyle: Of course, when starting a business you want it to provide an income, but finding a business that will support the lifestyle of you and your family is just as important. Take some time to do some soul searching and figure out what makes you tick, and would make you jump out of bed everyday. If aspiring to be physically active and a role model to children is something that is important to you, make sure that the business you start has those elements so that your day to day life is the way you want it to be, allowing you to have both a fulfilling career and a lifestyle. Now more than ever, it’s about creating a work-life balance that allows you to love the life you lead.
- Invest smart: It goes without saying, starting a business that allows you to earn an unlimited income is the end goal. Before you take a leap into starting your business, ensure you have mapped out a clear, operational and financial business plan, showcasing that it’s a viable, profitable and a smart investment.
- Why not join a franchise?: One of the many benefits of owning a franchise is the support of the business being a ready-set-go system. At GeckoSports, we introduce new franchise owners with a one month proven training program and from then, you’re starting to earn an income doing what you love, and living a lifestyle you’d only have dreamed of.
Kim O’Donnell, Director and Owner, GeckoSports